Many patients come in to our Dearborn office always asking us how they can keep their feet healthy. Some basic guidelines you should always remember about your feet can be very beneficial. Caring for your feet can help you prevent foot problems down the road. Here are some foot care tips you should always follow:
- Wash your feet daily. Rinse off all soap and dry your feet thoroughly paying close attention to the area between the toes.
- Always wear clean cotton socks that are changed daily. Do not wear any socks that are too short or too tight in the toe area.
- Trim nails straight across and do not cut them too short. Do not dig in corners of the toenail. This will help in preventing ingrown toe nails.
- Do not cut, trim or shave corns and calluses or pop any blisters. This can cause serious infection.
- Avoid walking barefoot. This causes your feet to be more prone to injury and infections.
Healthy feet are happy feet! Remember to always inspect your feet daily. Following these tips will help promote healthy feet! If you see something unusual or feel any pain or discomfort in your feet, make an appointment at Michigan Foot and Ankle Specialists and come see me, Dr. Scott Homer, your Dearborn podiatrist.
By Dr. Scott Homer